Saturday 9 August 2014

My Love Affair with the Farm

When one wakes up to the whistle of birds, the buzz of bees, the crow of chicken, the scream of eagles, the croak of frogs, the bleat of goats and the chatter of squirrels then they know they slept in Paradise. On the serene, grasslands of Kiboko, on the peripheries of the Tsavo East National park, lies my farm, my haven. It is here that I get intimate with nature, nurturing it and bonding with it in more ways than one.
My love affair with the farm began many years ago as a child. I grew up in the metropolitan city of Nairobi and every weekend, Dad & I would drive down to the country side. I recall the wild and remote nature of those trips where we would get jammed in the mud on rainy days; sometimes the car’s radiator would soak in water rendering it immobile. I recall vividly one night we spent in the car in the wild due to radiator issues (Thank God for automobile technology, it does not happen today  J ) I boldly recall the buffaloes hovering around in complete disregard of the motor car. Despite all, I still looked forward to those weekend farm visits.
Fast tracked to date: The proactive Merit Farm in Makindu, Kiboko is the actualization of my passion for gardening, environmental conservation and healthy living. The farm is energized by solar power in both water pumping as well as lighting. My awe with farming is derived from the self-fulfillment of seeding that progresses to budding and into an elegant tree or plant. The fact that I plant a neem tree that will  for shade us on sunny days as well as provide a key ingredient for homemade organic pesticides. The lovely multi-colored flowers that sprout & monopolize, reaffirming that there is a heaven on earth. The bees that buzz into the farm, diligently pollinating my plants, letting nature take its course. The bountiful harvest that emanates from the bees love affair with the flowers. The pure natural honey that drips out of the traditional hives on harvest day. The evident smile on the consumers’ face on receiving the farm produce…. My love, my passion, my life.

I have had absurd experiences as well. Life at the farm is quite makeshift, if I may say. Bath water is fetched from a water tank into a bucket which one carries to the bath rooms delinked from the main house. On dry seasons, the bees usually hover around the tank tap to uptake the much needed water. On one evening I fetched water as usual and scurried to the bathroom. I did not notice that a bee had fallen into the bath water. In the bath room, I filled my cupped hands with bath water and swiftly wet my back. Sorry, bath water and an agitated bee! Wasn’t I stung on my back! I emerged from the bath running like a wildebeest. The rest is history. J
Our love affair is well informed, rational and balanced. What I give is what I get. Hard work at the farm begets a bountiful harvest. I have returned from another of the frequent stays at the farm and had my usual excellent time. Typical breakfast includes fresh butternuts, organic milk and indigenous chicken eggs.  The stars at night are sensational & spectacular, perfect to lull one to sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment